Local Dog Breeders
When you have decided on the dog breed of your liking your next step is to find a dog breeder usually searching the web for dogs for sale or puppies for sale by dog breeders or adoption agencies. When doing so I recommend solely using local dog breeders who allow you to meet the parents and can give you a tour of the facility.
Seems really basic but yet many of us are guilty of just falling in love with the puppies and not caring about who we are purchasing from and the establishments breeding techniques. I look for the following when dealing with a local breeder for dogs and this can vary and as I said this is what I look for….
- Quality over quantity – I don’t support puppy mills and let me make this clear to every one not every local dog breeder is a puppy mill so stop the hate mail and emails because you are only annoying people (let me get back to the article lol)
- AKC certified – Shows me they try to bred to higher standards
- How long they have been breeding – I want experienced folks who know how to care for the Damns and Sires
- How often do they breed – If they have to many litters I cant seem them providing the right attention to the puppies so I wont consider
- Disease Control – A good dog breeder to me is only going to breed from healthy adults
- Questions – I want the local breeder to ask me questions about where the puppies are going shows me they care about their pups new home.
Remember this is my opinion and not a standard in which everyone should follow but helpful if you are in the buying process and dont have one.
Jason DM | DogCulture.net
Please share this article with your friends, family and other dog lovers